Sunday, October 16, 2011

We Do Love a Good, Lazy Saturday


Oh Saturday's.  I love Saturday’s.  It’s the day after Friday where you work.  And it’s the day before Sunday where you kinda sorta start to think about going to work.  It’s just a good day.  This weekend, the weather has been awesome.  I’ve had the windows open and the Pumpkin Spice candle lit.  Quite nice, if I do say so myself.
The only thing is, Robert kind of ruined my weekend (in the best way possible, of course).  He was supposed to work all weekend, but their test broke all these parts they need, so they have to get them re-machined and whatnot so they couldn’t work until those parts are fixed.  But, I had thought he was working… so I was going to just watch gymnastics (world championships in Tokyo were on) and football on TV and read my new Nicholas Sparks book, “The Best of Me.”
When it’s just me, I don’t really have to worry about food because I can usually skip lunch or make myself some toast or something.  Nothing fancy.  I love to just lie on the couch and read a good book.  I had this planned the whole weekend to myself.  After I was to spend Saturday with myself, Robert and I were to head to the Verizon Wireless Theater to see Straight No Chaser, a really awesome acapella group.
Yes, you may wonder why I would go see an acapella group?  After all, this is coming from the girl who is still scarred from the time my parent’s made us go to Silver Dollar City in the freezing cold and watch the Vienna Boys Choir.  They sang without microphones in the Echo Hollow theater at SDC.  All I can remember really is how I couldn’t really hear them and how cold it was.  Oh, childhood memories.  I'm sure my mom will tell you it was great.
So, that was what I thought acapella singing was.  More of a choir thing.  Now, don’t get me wrong I there’s nothing wrong with choir’s.  But, I need something that has a good beat to it where I can tap my feet to keep me interested.  Maybe I should also preface any story about singing with the fact that I cannot sing.  At all.  I have no pitch or rhythm.  Even I know I can’t sing.  But, let’s face it… I love to sing.  I don’t really care if I sound bad.  Just turn the volume up.  Anything where I can shake my head and belt my voice.  Ask my family.  Ask Robert.  I do love to sing… I just am really bad at it.
So… enter NBC’s the Sing Off.  I love this show.  The first time I saw it I was like… “Robert, is there music playing?”  These kids are so darn talented.  They make all these sounds with their voices while singing.  They can rap and make it seem like someone is playing the drums.  It’s really darn amazing.  I’m just fascinated.  After all, this is a skill that I don’t have. So, this show has really turned me on to this acapella music.
So… anyways…. Back to it being Saturday.  I had Rob around all day.  So, I decided to work on cleaning the apartment.  Rob cleans the kitchen and I clean everything else.  I started with the bathroom and worked my way from there.  Rob got a little tired and didn’t want his new found freedom to be taken up with cleaning.  It’s cool.  He at least did the dishes and picked up around the kitchen.  We finished all of this before noon.  He was like, “what are we gonna do today??”  I responded with, “well, I know what I’m doing today, but what are you going to do today?”  He then asked if I wanted to go on a bike ride.  I responded with a “Nope, that is not in my plans for today.”  I’m tellin ya.. I was stuck on reading my new book.
So, Rob went on a run instead.  I started my gymnastics and opened my book.  Then Rob comes back and he wants something to eat.  Well, we don’t have anything to eat.  So, I send Rob off to the store.   We ended up cooking a frozen pizza for lunch and had the leftovers for dinner.  I swear, I’m cooking a real meal tonight.  Plus cupcakes… got a special occasion at work tomorrow.  During all of this, you kind of picture Rob with his puppy dog face….
So, I had to turn my “weekend for me” into a little bit of a “weekend for Rob AND me.”  We have promised each other that we wouldn’t go shopping the rest of the month because we had two mom’s birthdays to buy presents for, spent a weekend in Dallas, and bought Rob the new iPhone 4S.  (It’s not here yet).  So, we gotta cut it back the rest of the month.  And Rob gets a little antsy when he doesn’t have enough to do.  But, he calmed himself down with some football.
Anyways, I did finish my Nicholas Sparks book.  If you like crappy endings, feel free to read it.  Otherwise, I’d say skip it because it just left me feeling depressed.  Oh and Team USA won the world championships.  Yes!
Then, we headed off to see Straight No Chaser.  Here’s a picture of us before we headed out.



The show was just great.  The kids were very talented and entertaining.  They kept the crowd engaged and kept my foot a’tappin.  My only complaint was that we were on the very top row and I guess were right in front of this main AC vent for the event.  It was SO cold.  You could literally see my hair blowing in the breeze.  I actually made Robert roll down his sleeves so that I could stick my arms up in his sleeves.  I’m pretty sure Rob wanted to pop his collar so that maybe he could warm his ears.  It was so COLD!!  That was the only downer.  I’m attaching a few video clips and pictures of the guys.  (Scratch that, I can't get my computer to upload the video)
Oh, I should also give a shout out to my friend Michelle Hurst who recommended these guys to me.  I took her up on her recommendation and you really can’t go wrong.
Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment