Monday, October 3, 2011

Woo Pig Sooie... It's not PIG for dinner!


Ahh, yes.  The Arkansas vs A&M game.  Parents vs kids.  Red vs Maroon.  Pig vs Collie.  Old vs Young.   Who will win?  Who will lose?  Well, since I’m writing this after the game, there’s really no suspense.  Arkansas won.  Ok, blog over.  Just kidding!
So, anyways… yes this past weekend was the Arkansas vs A&M football game held at Jerry Jones’ world of Cowboy Stadium.  The place where you forget there is an opponent sitting on the other side because the screen is so huge that you can’t see half the stadium.  Or you watching the big screen and you realize that they are still on replay mode while the real play is actually going on down below.  But, in all fairness, it might just be America’s best stadium.
So, to begin this trek to Dallas we all came from different locations in three different cars.  Kirstie & Trav together in Trav’s truck; mom, dad and Kate in the trusty Suburban; and rob and myself in the Lex.   The plan was for Robert and I to be on the road at exactly 3 PM on Friday.   I got to the apartment and got everything together at about 2:15.  Robert pulls in at 2:30.  On Rob’s way into the garage he calls to say “Hey… grab the Goo Gone.”  (If you don’t know what this is, you need to google it because its very great at removing all things sticky.)  I’m like.. what is this for??  Low and behold I discover that Rob has never put on his new registration sticker.. that we got in JULY.  How is this??  I do not know.  But I guess he decided that since we were going out of town, he better put it on.  (No worries, my Jeep was taken care of already.)  So that was a quick sidebar.
Then, once the goo gone-ing is complete, I also discover that Rob has bought new wiper blades.  He says, “it’s just gonna take a quick 5 mins”…. I’m like seriously Rob… we don’t have time for this, we still have to run by the ATM for some cash.  Plus, not to mention, there isn’t a cloud in the sky and nor is there a forecast for one either.  So, I finally convince Rob to wait on the blades.. we’ve got to hit the road!
And well, hit the road we did.  It was pretty smooth sailing.  We left at 3 and were in Dallas by 6:30 and checked into the hotel by 7.  Pretty speedy… I did not check the speedometer once… I’ll just leave that to Rob as I know he would prefer it.
Rob and I got all checked in and proceeded to go find us some dinner while we wait on the ‘rents and everyone else. 
We have two rooms… 7 people.  Travis lucked out the most because the hotel rooms had double beds and he got to sleep by himself.  Trav shared a room with Robert and I (lucky dog, I know) while everyone else got to listen to Dad snore in the other room.  (Since we’ve been married, Robert (and myself) now refuses to sleep in the same room as Dad because of his snoring… but in all fairness, he did put up with it for 7 years before we were married!)  That man can snore.  It’s really quite disturbing. 
However, I have learned that Travis likes to sleep with his room at a crisp 64 degrees.  I’m pretty sure I caught a cold from my hotel room.  BRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    I now know what it feels like to be an Eskimo and sleep in an Igloo.
The bummer part about the game was the fact that the game was at 11AM.  So, we had to get up at the crack of dawn to head to the game.  We picked up a gazillion donuts and sausage rolls from Kountry Biscuits and tailgated in Lot 4 for about 2 hours.  It was a tad bit chilly, too.  But, overall.. a perfect fall day.


We all went into the game about 45 minutes before it started and found us some seats that didn’t belong to us, but didn’t belong to anyone else either.  (Yes, we had tickets on the corner, but we didn’t like those… so we moved).  Right on the 50 yard line, too.  If you watched the game, you’ll know the first half A&M dominated and the 2nd half Arkansas pulled out a major comeback.  At around halftime, I was seriously thinking that I needed a nap since I had gotten up so early… but once the 2nd half started and Arkansas started to strut their stuff, things got a little bit more exciting.  Arkansas ended up pulling it out and Hog calls echoed throughout the stadium all the way out to the parking lot.  So, that puts Arkansas 3-0 on the series.  Maybe next year Ag’s???  I dunno… I can’t root for you now since you’re joining the SEC.  J
Alas, that ended our game and so we then had a late lunch with Trav’s dad and all of us at El Fenix… one of the best Mexican places in Dallas if I do say so myself.  Then, we did a little shopping and got ice cream at Braum’s.
Deciding to get ice cream at Braum’s was a little bit of an ordeal.  We were gonna go to Cheesecake Factory and get dessert… but Rob decided he wanted real food, but there was a 45 minute wait at 9PM at night.  So, then we couldn’t decide where to go and after multiple attempts at trying to make a decision, we ended up at Braum’s.  Trav didn’t eat.  So, I guess majority were happy…. But Kirstie & Trav went to Buffalo Wild Wings way late… so Trav got fed too.  I love Braum’s… not having one in Houston really makes me appreciate Braum’s.
I’ve yet to find a place where you can get good ice cream for like $1.50 or less.  There’s just all these fancy places in Houston where you spend like $6 bucks for a scoop of ice cream and some mix-in.  I’m way over that people.  When we got back from Braum's... Rob decided that would be a good time to do his wiper blades.  Sometimes, I just don't get him.. it was 10:30 at night, cloudless, rainless, and dark.  But, he wanted to do it, so he did it.  We haven't gotten to use them yet tho, so I don't know how they work.
So… that’s pretty much our trip in a nutshell.  We all headed back to our respective places on Sunday after having a nice breakfast at Cracker Barrel.  It was great getting to catch up with my mom and sisters and seeing Dad act like a nincompoop at the game (he was just so excited before the game, he couldn’t contain himself… unfortunately, he was let down by the team).
Next weekend, Rob and I are going to see Dave Ramsey Live!  I’ll be sure to fill you in, because I’m pretty excited!


See my dad's goofy face??  And no, parent's did not wear red.
And, not sure if you can tell, but Dad has an Aggie button on his SEC hat.

Oh, Lord it's hard to be humble when you're an Arkansas Razorback fan!

No comments:

Post a Comment