Friday, July 22, 2011

Ready, Set, BEACH!


Well, today was day one of family vacation in Destin, Florida.  It all started with 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and 8 people.  So, given the small quarters for the large amount of people, we were anxious to hit the beach on Day 1.  Here’s who is here:




Mom  & Dad, Me & Rob, Kate & Kyle, and Kirstie & Travis.  So, we all have significant others.  First vaca where we’ve all had someone to attach to.  For Kirstie at least.  And let’s not kid yourself, this kid Kirk is seeing, Trav… if he wasn’t so young I’d think I’d have a semi-crush on his body.  Just take a look for yourself.  His momma should be proud!  GQ, don’t ya think???


See, I wouldn't lie.

Further known as Barbie & Ken.


Anyways, Day 1 was all about hitting the beach and resting up from the long drive down on Wednesday.  We really didn’t do much besides hit it out there.  The boys played baseball with some 8-10 year olds on the beach and Travis bought a skim board so we all tried our attempts at that.  The baseball game was rather exciting.. Both Trav and Kyle hit homeruns!  Oh, Kate took dad’s place in the game when he was too tired.  (I think secretly Dad was tired of the young kids saying “Batter’s got a big butt!”, hehe jk).

Trav after his home run.

Go Kyle!
Ohhh yeah.


To learn how, Robert went up and asked some young kids doing it on the beach and they said, “Oh.. just throw it down, it’s real simple.”  So, that was our instruction.  Let me show you a picture of Robert doing it.

Yep, that's Rob falling onto the beach.


Nonetheless, he definitely crashed and burned trying to skim board.  It was so funny to watch.  He kind of gave up after he crashed into the sand.  A little while later I worked up the courage to give it a shot.  And I picked it up rather quickly if I do say so myself.  And of course, that enticed Robert to give it a go again.  We finally kind of got the hang of it.  Enough to stay up a few seconds at any rate.  (Side note:  I definitely busted it as well, but Robert wasn’t watching, so it really didn’t happen).  We even got mom up on the board.  Or well, I don’t think she ever actually caught the wave, but she threw the board down and jumped up a few times.

We're discussing our strategy here.


Check it.  I caught the wave.


Once mom got on the board, some old man came up to us and was saying how we should leave the skim boarding to the young kids.  However, I can’t be certain if he was talking to me or mom because I was holding the board at the time….  Weird.  We’re just having a good time, no matter how unsuccessful we may have been.

Each couple has a night to cook dinner and Robert and I went first.  We cooked a turkey sausage pasta with cherry tomatoes and baby spinach.  Of course, only after I opened up the pasta shells, they went flying onto the kitchen floor.  Whoops!  Broom, please!  Nonetheless, we managed to have enough food for all 8 of us.  I’d say it was a pretty successful meal myself.



Once we ate and were all cleaned up, we headed to the Destin Harbor where we caught a firework show and grabbed a snow cone.  Unfortunately, my cherry snow cone tasted a little like cough syrup. :*(  It was a pretty nice firework show, however.  At one point in the car, Kirstie said, “Dad, you’re like a dog” and we all burst out laughing because she was absolutely right.  Every few feet, dad will just shout out something that he sees.  “DONUT HOLE” “SQUIRREL” “STOPLIGHT” “SQUIRREL” hahaha.

Oh yeah, check out the hair.  Oh, and don't mind those giant people on the left.


Now, we’re just lounging around the Condo where some people are playing 42, I’m organizing pictures and writing this blog.

Oh.  PS.  Rob looks like a GIANT LOBSTER.  BEWARE. 

---- Friday Day 2----

Well, I never could get the internet to post for Day 1 on day one, so I’m posting it with this one.  We had a pretty laid back day.  The boys went golfing in the morning at San Destin and the ladies went…. Shopping!  Of course.  The only thing to do when your men go out and play, duh!  We didn’t spend too much money tho, I even came back with all my purchases and realized that I bought more stuff for Rob than for myself!  See how sweet I am?!
When we all got back home Rob and I stayed out on the balcony reading our respective books and everyone else went all the way down to the beach.  Us sunburned people wanted to stay in the shade!  Trav, Kirk, and Kyle picked up a sand volleyball game where they dominated the other team. 





Kate & Kyle were also in charge of cooking dinner tonight.  They cooked pulled pork sandwiches.  The pork cooked all day long in these chipotle peppers soaked in Adobe sauce and then also 2 cans of Dr. Pepper.  It was a recipe that she took from the Pioneer Woman’s blog.  So, check it out if your interested.

We then had fun taking pictures on the balcony.  See some pictures below. 






After that we headed down for some Frisbee tossing.  We decided it was too windy and switched to some sand volleyball.  Note to self:  playing sand volleyball means you get sand where sand should not go.  Including your pockets, mouth and everywhere else in between.  However, I most definitely blocked a ball by the 6’5 Travis Southard.  Granted, I’m pretty sure it still landed on our side, but it does go to show you can’t count the short people out! 



Everyone is heading to get ice cream now, except myself.  I had to take a shower after the sand volleyball game so I’m holding down the fort.  Rob promises to bring me a chocolate shake though. Yum!!

I’m not sure what tomorrow will hold, except I think we’re all going on a bike ride in the evening down highway 30A.  Should be interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment