Monday, July 4, 2011

Even The Husks Caught Fire!

Happy Fourth of July!

Over the 4th of July, my whole family came down, minus Kirstie.  I’m talking mom, dad, Kate, Nana, Pop, Mema, and Pepa.  And let me tell ya, my apartment may feel big for two people, its definitely small with all of those people.  We even have to break out the lawn chairs so that everyone can sit down.
Mom & Dad came down Thursday night, before I got back from BFE Arizona.  So, I met up  with them on Friday.  We did a little shopping at Highland Village before Nana & Pop got in.  Exchanged Kirstie’s sliced off James Avery ring for a new one (got $30 credit), picked up some Jalapeño Lemonade (more on that later), fruit basket thing, and a plastic lemonade pitcher.
When Nana & Pop came in we went and saw Larry Crowne with Julia Roberts and Tom Hanks.  While the movie wasn’t bad, it definitely wasn’t great.  It was the most disappointing I think because they are two Oscar winning actors and they didn’t really have synergy.  Don’t get me wrong, parts were definitely funny and cute.  But it just wasn’t near romancy enough to really get it off the ground.
Then, we bought and cooked some Kabob’s out on the grill by the pool.  We actually managed to stay out there for a quite a while too.  Very nice out.  We also broke out the Jalapeno Lemonade mix.  Tastes like lemonade in the mouth and then you can feel the heat in your throat on its way down.  Very interesting.  I’m not so sure I’d recommend???  But nonetheless, almost half of it got drunk by you know 10 people.  So, I guess that means not many people wanted to drink it.  I had my one swallow and that was it.
Nana & Pop went off to their hotel and Kyle picked up Kate from the airport Friday night.  In the meantime, mom, dad, rob, and myself watched 127 Hours, the movie.  It was okay…  Amazing that it is a true story.  Ingenious in all the ways he tried to escape.  Nasty in the fact that he cut off his arm.
That pretty much rounded out Friday night.
Saturday started early with mema & pepa arriving.  We all just kind of hung out for awhile and then all the women set off to DSW shoes and The Container Store.  I swear, you can spend hours in the Container Store.  They have so many neat gadgets!  Nana bought me an air-tight cookie container.  Like you press a button on the top it seals the lid and then to get it off, you press the button again.  It’s pretty clever!!!  Mom also bought a cabinet holder thing for the spices.  Well, its basically like this shelf raiser thing so that you can see all your spices in the back.  Also very clever.
Then, we headed back to the apt where we proceeded to attempt to grill corn, potatoes, and sausage.  However, the grill wasn’t readily available so the food kind of had to wait outside for a while before it could be cooked.  And, when you grill corn on the cob, you need to make sure the husks are wet so they don’t catch fire.  We soaked them in water before we took them out, but they dried out pretty quick when they sat outside for a little bit.  And well, they caught fire.   Smoking fire.  Mom and I took them inside and boiled them and then finished them up in the microwave.  However, while you may not think this process would work guarantee good tasting corn, it was quite great.  The butter really soaked in and it tasted quite great!
We ate outside by the pool in 104 degree temperature and like 95% humidity.  It was HOT!  We were all dripping in sweat by the time we finished eating, but I think all the grandparents made it okay.
We headed back in for a little siesta and mema & pepa headed to Seguin.  But, not before I saw mema dump in that Jalepeno Lemonade in pepa’s Dr. Pepper!  I wonder if he was wondering why his throat was burning on the way home?!
Then, me, rob, kate, and kyle went to the Astro’s game while mom, dad, nana, and pop went to Galveston and checked out Nana & Pop’s timeshare on the beach.  We had a great time at the game and got to watch a fantastic firework show.  It was really long too.  Since that’s the only show we’ll get to see over the Holiday weekend, it was very good!!  Then, Kyle took us to his office downtown and got to impress us with his cool digs.  He had his own office and window view!  You can’t beat that!!!



Aren't they cute?
We came back where we then proceeded to act like goofballs and pretend we were shooting each other with machine guns.  Okay, maybe I should say we… it was more Me & Rob while Kyle and Kate laughed at us.  But it was pretty fun.  Maybe one day when Kyle comes home from work he’ll find Robert and I hiding around corners with our fake machine gun hands and noises.  That would be really funny!

Kyle's office.
Sunday morning we all kind of slept in a little bit and made a list of things to accomplish:
1)      Ikea
2)      Outlet Mall
3)      Sun & Ski Sports
4)      Crate & Barrel
Amazingly, we made all the stops and had lunch at Whatburger within 4 hours.  You should be impressed b/c I’ve never spent less than 2 hours in IKEA and it takes like 45 minutes to drive out to the Outlet Mall.  SUCCESS. 
At Sun & Ski, Kate bought me bike helmet.  I bought myself padded shorts and a bike top.  You gotta have the right outfit, you know!  Now, all I need is a bike!!!  Nothing like putting the cart before the horse, but you know.  J  I do actually have a bike to ride…. One of Robert’s co-workers bought a nice bike for his wife and she’s ridden it like twice.  He spent  a lot of money on the bike and ‘didn’t want the same thing to happen to him.’  So, I’m taking it for a test ride tonight.  That may be its own blog!
Anyways, I’m going to look cute riding my bike and that’s all there is to it.  Looking good is half the experience! J  While at Sun & Ski, dad, kate, and kyle rode the tricycle around with a seat as big as an elephant’s rear.  You’d just look around and you’d see one of them down the aisle trying to make a curve.  I guess that was better than mom and me feeling butt pads, trying to figure out which was the best.
Kate & Kyle then went on a date together and mom, dad, rob and me were left to our own devices.  Well, when that happens it can’t always be good.  We decided to drive up to the The Woodlands and do a little wandering around.  To protect the innocent, I’ll leave it at that.  We had dinner at Guadalajara, which was excellent.  Then, we searched for a Auto Zone or something similar to repair my one break light that is out.  We amazingly found one open and on our way out, saw a restaurant as dad said, “CrabbyDaddy’s”  of which Robert then said, “or Crab by Daddy.”  Who is right, we’ll never know! Then headed to The Chocolate Bar in Rice Village (not in The Woodlands) and had an excellent piece of chocolate cake.  It was delish!  Then, we came back and watched the Food Network Star.  Can’t miss that show!!!  And that ladies and gents, pretty much concluded our weekend.
I had to work on the 4th and Rob is repairing this bike that his co-worker sent so I can “have the best riding experience ever.”  We’re headin out in like an hour.  Keep your fingers crossed that I don’t fall down, because you know once that happens I will never touch a bike again.  J

No comments:

Post a Comment