Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Dinner for Two, Please.

No, not dinner for four.  Not dinner for three.  Not dinner for one.  I'm looking for dinner for two. 

Many people ask since, I'm married I must cook.  But ya know, I really don't.  Who's to say that once you are married you cook?  I don't really think it's fair to say that we eat out a lot either... only Friday & Saturday for dinner.  And we have a budget we stick to at those meals.

So, you may be wondering.. what do I eat for the rest of the meals??  Well, we will usually cook on Sunday.  We have time and the inclination to get a meal going.  However, we usually begin with "What do you want to cook?"  We both answer "I don't know.  I don't care."  Well, that's a great start to picking out a delicious meal, let me tell ya.  Your bound to come up with something creative then.  We usually cook spaghetti.  Its my specialty... and also happens to be my favorite food.

However, we usually have two days worth of leftovers after we cook it.  And Rob doesn't eat leftovers.  Ever.  I'm being serious here... I don't think he has ever eaten a leftover.  I will sometimes, but I'm not a huge fan either. 

Why does a pack of chicken breasts come in a standard size 6?  Hot dogs in a standard size of 8 along with the hot dog buns.  Same thing with rolls, hamburgers, any meat you buy, and all of the box dinners where you partly cook (add water, heat on stove sort of thing).  Anything we make always ends up feeding at least 4 people.  And then it all goes to waste.

Even if you decide to freeze it, I don't want to come home & wait for it to defrost in the microwave, look at it, and then wonder if it's even okay to eat.  After all, I just nuked it for 25 minutes.  And now I'm going to "cook" it.  I can't tell you the times that I've either: bought something again so I don't have to defrost, or just thrown away something I've defrost because I'm convinced I've ruined it in the microwave.

To keep going, I won't even tell you the number of times Robert and I have eaten a whole pack of dinner rolls (like 6) all in one sitting.  They come in the package, we bake, and then we eat.  Mountainous amounts of food.  We will stuff ourselves simply so we don't have leftovers.

I personally think there should be an aisle just for couples.  Even one person I think would appreciate that.  All my single friends complain just as I do that they don't cook b/c everything comes in size 4.  Wouldn't that be nice?  Picture, only needing a basket to carry b/c everything is so little. "Chicken tonight dear?"  "Yes, please."  Pick up two chicken breasts & then be done.  I can practically hear these individual chicken breasts saying, "pick me, pick me!"  No longer would I have to worry if I had a freezer bag, if I would eat all the leftovers the next day.  And it would be less expensive b/c it would only be for two... NOT FOUR.  It would take less time to cook.  Oh, if only.

I know, only in my dreams.  I would hate to be a family of 5 even... trying to stretch the family of 4 meals or end up having a meal for 8.  What a nightmare.  Now I know what my mom went through when we were all a family of 5.  Good thing my dad is the human garbage disposal... no food goes unwasted in front of Dad!

So, since you know we don't really cook... you may ask what we do do.  Well, I usually eat a bowl of cereal.  Sometimes I'll cook myself pasta salad.  We buy frozen meals a lot.  As a matter of fact, Rob eats a frozen dinner every meal of the night.  Does this make us an old couple??  I can't be sure.  We'll order pizza once a week too.  Usually Wednesday or Thursday.  This week it will be Thursday because we didn't have it today.  Today, I made myself a bean burrito.  Rob hates beans... so he had a frozen dinner.  But, get this.. he will make himself a salad for every meal.  He's such a healthy boy!!!  Not me, I usually load up on my carbs and cereal.  Forget the salad please.

These frozen dinners are pretty good.  Plus, they are only like $2-3.  After I buy 6 chicken breasts that I will later throw away, I consider this a moneysaver. 

The even funnier thing about Rob and I is that we don't like any of the same foods.  When I have a hot dog.. I want chili & cheese to top it. He wants ketchup... only.  When I have a taco.. I want sour cream and cheese only on top of it.  He wants lettuce, tomato, salsa, etc with NO sour cream.  Let's face it... you cannot buy sour cream for just one person (well, I mean, I do but I always throw it away after)  He wants salad, I don't like salad.  I want peas, he doesn't like peas.  I love beans, he hates beans.  He doesn't want cheese on his sandwich, cheese is a staple on my sandwich.  He hates mustard, I love mustard!

The other day at the store, I picked up some Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing b/c we were out and he picked up another brand of ranch dressing that he thought was better.  I looked at him w/ disdain.  Seriously, we have to buy TWO bottles of salad dressing.  This can't be true.  In the end, we stuck with the staple of Hidden Valley (I mean, who doesn't like that?!)  There are some battles I must win!!!  Really, I wonder why we ever married.  It's even harder to cook when we have to try to buy one of everything.

It's even hilarious to see our shopping cart on Sunday.  Loaded with frozen dinners, bagel bites, spaghetti, the most assorted condiments b/c we like nothing of the same.  We're just so opposite, it's hilarious.  Our grocery bill can pay the price for that too.

But it's cool.  Just don't judge us for eating cereal and frozen meals.  Who even has the time to cook these days anyways?  3 minutes in the microwave while you take off your work clothes and it's time to eat!  Yeah!

If we could only have dinner for two, please... that would be nice.  :-)

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Jess!!!! That is hilarious!! I JUST had the cereal for dinner argument with Dust the night before last! :) I love cereal for dinner!! By the way, we had pizza tonight! Anyway, LOVE your blog! It is fantabulous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. If you put a frozen chicken breast in a baggie and then put that baggie in a bowl of warm/hot water that will defrost it and it only takes like 10 min. depending on how hot the water is and you don't have to worry about the microwave. And you can buy already frozen chicken breasts so you can just pull one or two out to cook at a time. I'm an expert I do this like every day. haha.

    ReplyDelete